Executive Dean’s Message

Dear Colleagues,

As we embark on 2024, it is with great enthusiasm and optimism that I extend a warm welcome back to everyone. I hope you have all had the chance to relax, recharge and re-connect with things that are important to you over the holiday period. I wanted to hold off on my first message of the year until I knew most people were back at work.

I expect that 2024 will be a transformative year for the faculty, the University’s Navitas partnership has commenced, and teaching at the North Sydney campus will start in Session 1 of 2024. Navitas is in the process of fitting out the Sydney Campus at 77 Berry Street. Associate Professor Fion Lim has commenced as the Associate Dean (Charles Sturt University Sydney), She will play a critical role in managing the partnership to ensure success. Fion joins us from the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) where she held the positions of Deputy Associate Dean of International Education and Associate Professor of General Management with the Department of Management, UTS Business School.

Following several recruitment processes in 2023 I am pleased to announce new staff members to the faculty.

Professor Anna Shillabeer

Anna has commenced as the new Head School of Computing, Mathematics, and Engineering. Anna has extensive experience in academic leadership in higher education and has held roles both in Australia and internationally with her most recent appointment being Head of School – ICT at the University of Tasmania. Anna is based on the Wagga Wagga Campus in Building 1.

Professor Julian Parker-McLeod

Julian has commenced as the newly appointed Head of the School of Policing Studies at the Police Academy in Goulburn. Julian has a strong track record of academic leadership having held senior roles with the University of Cumbria, United Kingdom (UK), as the Director of the Centre of Excellence in Policing Studies, and more recently at the University of Portsmouth, UK in the role of Director, Professional Education Programs.

I look forward to the diverse expertise and perspectives our new academic leaders will bring which will undoubtedly enrich our academic community and contribute to the dynamic learning environment at Charles Sturt. I know everyone will join me in welcoming Anna, Julian and Fion to the University and their new roles.

Our buildings must be inviting for both our students and staff. You may have noticed recarpeting and other general maintenance taking place across campuses. Space is always a challenge so I have requested that the offices of those who no longer work at Charles Sturt along with Adjunct appointments, offices’ be cleaned out and ready for new staff. We will also be looking at the faculty accommodation footprint across all campuses to determine where consolidations can be made and where faculty staff can be brought together.

The faculty has been at the forefront of developing greater awareness of the application of AI in our teaching practice. Our Sub-Dean for Learning and Teaching, Dr Troy Whitford, has been conducting a Teaching with Technolgies program. I would encourage academic staff to attend these sessions.

I want to acknowledge and thank you all for being an integral part of our faculty. I am genuinely excited about the journey that lies ahead, and I am confident that, together, we will make 2024 a year of growth, achievement, and collective success.

I look forward to catching up with you all face-to-face throughout the year.