Executive Dean’s Message

Dear Colleagues,  

In this newsletter, I wanted to highlight the range of resources and opportunities that we’ve offered to support our academics in their research efforts. From research grants and collaborative projects to professional development workshops and mentorship programs, we are dedicated to nurturing an environment where intellectual curiosity can thrive. 

Last week I was asked to present on the faculty to University Council. I used it as an opportunity to highlight the research achievements across the faculty and the breadth of professional development opportunities that the faculty has undertaken. 

Over the past three years we have seen a dramatic increase in successful research grant applications, the proportion of Q1 and Q2 journal outputs has increased dramatically. We have also seen an increase in our HDR numbers, and we have seen an increase in collaboration and joint research projects across faculties but also with our research institutes. These are all amazing successes that need to be celebrated, and we do that regularly through our research communications in the faculty newsletter. We have over the past several months also worked hard to promote the success of early and mid-career researchers, with a particular focus on involving them in active research groupings and providing pathways to secure internal research support so that they can achieve their research career aspirations. 

Our ability to meet the COALDRAKE standards will require a team effort, and I have been heartened to see the willingness of our more senior colleagues to mentor and support early career researchers in the faculty, I know we still have more work to do, but I am committed to doing what I can in the current environment to support people to achieve their career goals. 

The role of an Associate Dean (Research) is pivotal in fostering a productive research environment within the faculty. I want to commend Professor Zahid Islam our Associate Dean (Research) who has provided strong and collegial strategic leadership since coming into the role, noting he has worked selflessly to identify and secure funding opportunities, promote interdisciplinary collaborations, and ensure the rigorous application of ethical standards of all research activities, and representing the faculty’s research interests both within the university and in the broader academic and industry communities. In particular, I want to note recent efforts in mentoring and developing early-career researchers, helping them navigate the complexities of academic publishing and grant acquisition. And I know he is planning additional workshops and sessions to help enhance our research profiles and success. 

Follow the link to the summary of BJBS research development opportunities and that have been held this year already and the future sessions scheduled until the end of the year. 

Where you haven’t been able to engage in professional development sessions, I encourage you to listen to the recordings, and as future events are held, please make yourself available to attend as all the feedback I have received has been that it is very helpful to their professional development. We also have several resources available on the BJBS Blog, and other resources available from the Research Office.  

I am looking forward to hearing about your research efforts as opportunities present, and I look forward to seeing the uplift in everybody’s research productivity and quality.  

Best regards, 

Lewis