WPL team update

WELCOME TO THE TEAM – JUDY WONG

A very big welcome to Judy Wong – finally!  Although Judy has been with the Workplace Learning team for around five years, it has finally been made official, with Judy joining the team as a permanent part-time team member in September.  Judy is a very valued member of WPL and will continue to offer great service to our academics and students.

COVID-19

COVID-19 has continued to play havoc with our student placements, with many placements having to be re-organised with new providers, extended, go on-line or be offered alternatives.  The WPL teams across the faculties, together with their academic representatives, have been working with the Communications team to develop our responses to students regarding COVID.  The site can be found at:   COVID-19 Workplace Learning

WHAT OUR STUDENTS SAID ABOUT THEIR PLACEMENT EXPERIENCE IN 202160:

BUS370 Student

I believe that my employability skills have been greatly enhanced as I have gained experience in many aspects of marketing that I had not experienced before. I learnt many skills that I can carry with me throughout my professional life.

BUS110 Student

I feel as if I have learnt a lot to enhance my employability. Not only through a deeper understanding of marketing techniques and operations, but of office dynamics and how an effective team all work together to acheive a common goal.

BUS110 Student

I had the chance to get a work-placement opportunity with AppiWork, under Mrs Hida’s supervision. I was asked to work remotely, which is relevant to real-time workplace conditions due to the pandemic (Covid-19). I was presented the opportunity

to work as a Marketing Consultant, advertising one of AppiWork’s website: Everywhere Venues. I was able to get supervised and Mrs Hida was able to assist me on developing valuable skills and knowledge in the Marketing industry, I was able to adapt

in the unusual workplace norms that the pandemic inflicted. I gain valuable knowledge and skills throughout my placement, working and improving skills that will be valuable in my future Marketing endeavours. This subject was able to help me these valuable skills and knowledge, so in conclusion, this subject has matched my expectations.

BUS370 Student

The subject delivered an understanding of current theory and practices performed within an organisation, providing self with the confidence to be able to enter an organsation and complete what was required of me in a professional and skillful manner. The subject also brought an awareness of the operations and expectations of an organisation, and the ethical practices that must be adhered to in current society, regardless of the size or location of the organisation.

The subject provided an extension of the skills, knowledge and personal insights previously developed from BUS 110 and BUS 220 and as the time frame of work placement was 120 hours, I could not only develop and enhance my business skills, it allowed for a deeper connection to be developed with all staff members rather than just the immediate supervisor.  This providing unexpected learnings, as each individual staff member had different teaching methods and expertise, and I was able to enhance my learnings from not just one individual but a collective, providing a holistic learning experience, contributing to my professional and personal resume.

I have completed my work placement at Vivability gaining current organisational skills and experience, but most importantly the confidence I developed along the way is even more valuable. I now have an awareness and understanding of my capabilities, in not only a work capacity but also the ability to liaise and communicate without fear or hesitation to senior management in a professional manner.

ACC275 Student

My work placement with HLB Mann Judd exceeded my expectations. I gained an enormous amount of new skills, knowledge, and experiences in the areas of company taxation, financial reporting, preparation of business activity statements and fringe benefits tax – all of which will be significantly beneficial in my future in accounting.

I have realised that this is an area of accounting that I will pursue in the future.