Great to see so many of you back on campus. As the clock ticks down to the beginning of the 202130 session, the professional learning program is ramping up, including further support for using Zoom. Speaking of Zoom, thanks to Lachlan Kalache for putting together the following summary of recent improvements.
Improved Zoom Meeting features
- Enhanced nonverbal feedback and reactions: nonverbal feedback options are moved to the Reactions button, and all reactions will be shown in the corner of the participants’ video. The host will see each participant’s reactions in the participant list, as well as the aggregate numbers of each reaction at the bottom of the list.
- Enhanced co-host privileges over Breakout Rooms: Co-hosts have the same breakout room controls as the meeting host, such as starting or ending breakout rooms, assigning participants, etc.
- Move participants to the main session from breakout room: hosts and co-hosts have the option to assign a participant back to the main session, rather than ending all breakout sessions.
- Share multiple programs at once: users can select multiple desktop programs at once for sharing, instead of sharing their entire desktop. Other programs and unoccupied areas on the desktop will not be visible to the viewer. The sharer will always know which applications they are sharing by an extensible green border. Only the user employing this feature will need to be on version 5.4.3, viewers can be connected with older versions.
- Suspend participant activity: new option in the Security panel to immediately suspend all participant activities, which will mute all video and audio, stop screen sharing, end all breakout rooms, and pause recording.
- Scheduling with custom Join Before Host time limit: users can schedule meetings with Join Before Host set to allow participants to join 5, 10, or 15 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- Self-select Breakout Room: the host can now create breakout rooms with the option for participants to self-select which breakout room they would like to join. If enabled, participants can move freely between breakout rooms, without needing the host’s help. Both the meeting host and participants need to be on Client 5.3.0 or later to self-select Breakout Rooms.
- Storage changes to Interact2:We are currently using 3 times our contracted storage quota on our i2 sites. Additional storage will be purchased but strategies will also be adopted to archive i2 sites more quickly and limit the amount of storage available on i2 sites created from 202160 onwards to 1 gigabyte. For a small percentage of BJBS sites, this may mean video content will need to be stored on a platform (such as DOMS) outside of the i2 site. I’ll work with DLT to ensure that the learning experience for students is maintained or enhanced during this transition.
- updated BJBS moderation guidance approved: during its last meeting in 2020, the BJBS Faculty Board approved, with an amendment to the percentage variance that would require further work and/or adjustment, an updated version of the BJBS Moderation Process. It is now in the Policy Library as a Local Instruction applies to all BJBS moderation activity from 202130 onwards. The updated version provides guidance on sampling method, applying moderation adjustments, and on evidencing moderation and evidencing any moderation adjustments.
- Great to see so many of you already engaging with scholarly activity by setting a 2021 scholarly objective. More sessions and resources will be delivered soon but these DLT pages are more than enough to get you started.