202030? Bring it on!

Transitioning to APA (7th ed.)? Wanting to support the development of your students’ literacy skills in 202030? Not a problem! Here are some easy-to-implement strategies and resources.

Referencing

• Add links to the referencing page of the student portal to your Subject Outline and Interact2 site. This will give easy access to the APA Referencing Summary and online Academic Referencing Tool for both the old (6th ed.) and new (7th ed.) versions of APA after February 14. N.B., please link to the page, not the individual resources, as the transition to APA (7th ed.) taking place across the university during 202030 will require changes, additions, or deletions of individual links.
  • Model accurate referencing according to the system you have identified in your Subject Outline, documents, and sites. This short video will help you understand the differences between APA (6th ed.) and APA (7th ed.), as will the “APA (7th ed.) Transition Guide for Staff”, available from the English Language, Literacy and Numeracy Policy @ CSU Interact2 Organisation site. That site also has a suggested announcement you can use to make your students aware of available resources.

Literacy

• Identify students who need assistance early. Talk to me about:
    • enrolling your students in the online BKSB English (and Maths) assessments and tutorials
    • adding a robust (but easy to mark) writing and referencing criterion to an initial assessment
    • easy literacy feedback and referral strategies – start with the Academic Writing, Language, and Referencing Example Feedback in NORFOLK
  • Embed contextualised tutorials and workshops into your subject. I am very happy to organise anything from a ten-minute pop-in introduction to Academic Skills services to a two-hour practical workshop – online or on campus. But get in quick – the more time I have to prepare, the better the result. Please note that the level of interactivity in a workshop usually is directly related to the time allowed. Just talking at students isn’t often useful, but constructive learning in the form of practical exercises can take additional preparation and delivery time.
  • Provide me with an example of effective writing in your discipline and I will provide you with a deconstructed writing model that your students can use to improve their submissions. Or you might prefer that I create templates, study guides, or other resources that prevent the issues you already know will arise. Just let me know.
  • Modify, copy, and paste the set of announcements (aligned to the student life-cycle over the duration of a session) that I have prepared so you can direct your students to Academic Skills support services: appointments, workshops, study guides, and draft assignment feedback. Send me an email and they’re yours!

I look forward to working with you again this session to develop your students’ competence and confidence.

Debbie Wheeler, Academic Skills Coordinator for BJBS

dwheeler@csu.edu.au; 07 55 294140