What’s in a name?

Image of a rose from Flikr

The ALLaN acronym has been around for a few years now and became a familiar, if not always easily understood, name for Charles Sturt University’s team of literacy and numeracy experts. Alas, ALLaN is no more.

In order to be more immediately recognisable for what we do, we are now called the Academic Skills team. Our mission remains the same: to assist students to develop the academic literacy, learning, numeracy, and referencing competencies they require to be successful and autonomous learners and beginning professionals.

Students can still seek free assistance, seven days a week, from Academic Skills Advisors (previously called ALLaN Advisers) from https://student.csu.edu.au/study/skills and the Study Success link at the top, right corner of their Interact2 dashboard and subject sites through:

• study and referencing guides
  • a monitored discussion forum
  • online academic skills workshops
  • online or face-to-face appointments
  • assignment writing feedback service which offers individualised suggestions for improving their writing before submission.

Academic staff can request strategies, resources, and workshops to provide embedded and contextualised assistance for the students in their subjects from the Academic Skills Coordinator (previously called the ALLaN Faculty Liaison). For BJBS, the Coordinator is me! As the title suggests, I coordinate all Academic Skills activity within the Faculty, so even if you regularly work with the Academic Skills Advisors on your campus, please direct all your requests to me in the first instance. You can contact me on dwheeler@csu.edu.au or by telephoning 07 55294140.

You will have to bear with us for a while as our names, titles, and online sites transition at different speeds, but rest assured we will continue to provide the best service possible to you and your students. You can help me out with this by giving me as much lead time possible to design, develop, organise, and deliver workshops and resources in your subjects. Right now is an excellent time to have a discussion about support strategies, so let me know soon if you’d like a workshop, deconstructed model text, or intervention strategies for students in your subject. I am also happy to review the language in Subject Outlines, Interact2 sites, and other documentation so effective writing skills are always modelled for students.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!