What’s happening in WPL in January?

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Meet a host – Appiwork

Zoe and her husband Isao have been fantastic supporters of our WPL program supervising a number of our business students over the last couple of years. Located in Bathurst, Appiworks design mobile app for business and government. They’ve won a swag of awards for their efforts and you can check out their business here https://appiwork.com/

So what do they think about WPL at CSU? Zoe gives us her thoughts in the clip below.

Did you know?

BJBSWPL placements commence all year round. Not a month goes by when there isn’t a student commencing placement. Data is based on 2017 as that is the last full year and only includes those students that went on placement which is validated by the Attendance Record. Proposed dates for students who neglect to validate placement by submitting the Attendance Record have dates stripped from the system. The graphic also does not include Stream 3 students yet these students are included in our overall placement numbers.

The graphic highlights that BJBSWPL students are continually based in industry and placement doesn’t just occur during session times.

Information and graphic supplied and developed by
Kirrily Welsh (Senior WPL Officer)

Coming up – 2019

With a new year upon us there are exciting plans afoot for WPL both in the Faculty and across the University for 2019. Just a few of these include the development of a University Workplace Learning Plan, University WPL monitoring and reporting systems and a roll out of InPlace survey and logbook tools.

More to come as the year unfolds.

Behind the scenes – WPL Policies

Great news to report with CSU Academic Senate approving the new WPL policy in their last 2018 sitting in December. Perhaps you haven’t thought about this before but CSU has a number of academic policies and regulations related to WPL all of which need to be taken into account. The following policies impact WPL:

Workplace Learning Policy
Workplace Learning for Students with a Disability Policy (Planning Guidelines)
Academic Progress Policy
Academic Communication with Students Policy
Academic Integrity Policy
Assessment Policy – Coursework Subjects
Balancing Work and Study with Family and Caring Responsibilities Policy
Special Consideration Policy
Student Academic Misconduct Policy
Student General Misconduct Rule

January staff profile – Kirrily

Krirrily has vast institutional knowledge having started working at CSU when she was just 18 years old and she is an important member of our Administrative team. During a recent interview Kirrily told gave us these insights into what makes her tick.

Kirrily Rools

“I moved around a variety of departments which lead me to be involved in student administration, academic governance, information technology, graduation, research and a highlight being involved in establishment of the School of Animal & Veterinary Sciences. After nearly 19 years I left for a 5 year period to gain some exposure in federal and local government. I returned to CSU in 2014 and have now spent more than half my life on its grounds.

Initially commencing at CSU in contract positions within the main student administrative and support hubs, I gained experience associated with the complete student lifecycle from admission, enrolment and integration through to graduation which provided a fundamental basis in tertiary institution administration. Following these roles, I transferred into other departments administering portfolios in governance, information technology, academic programs and research, further strengthening my comprehensive experience within centralised and specialised higher education business units. I have drawn upon this knowledge in my current position as the Senior Workplace Learning Officer where I am a proactive team member and have driven change to improve business processes.

I like working in WPL because of the variety and I get to work with fairly decent sized datasets to extract stories which showcases the impact our students are having in the economy at a local, national and international level.”