Sub Dean TOL Update

Reading Time: 2 minutes

TOL update

Welcome everyone to this month’s update.

Transform Online Learning was a Day 1 agenda item at the recent Vice Chancellor’s Forum in November, with a copy of the presentation available here. This presentation gives a summary of the development process being used within Phase #1 of TOL as well as examples of the subject enhancements now taking place as part of this initiative.

In other news, Tracey continued her BJBS campus sessions in Bathurst last week, and we have now filmed a TOL video update that is currently in production. For those wanting more information about TOL, please get in touch if you would like me to present an update to your School or Faculty.

Six intakes for 2019

Enrolments are now open for the January term of the 2019 six intake initiative. In total, 19 courses are being offered as part of this strategy, including those from the IT Masters’ portfolio and selected programs from AGSPS. To support the six intakes, only two additional subject offerings are required for each of the additional term periods being used. This year, the use of this strategy allowed us to boost postgraduate enrolments across selected courses by 71 students – a number we are hoping to equal or exceed in 2019.

TOL Staff Profile: Ryun Fell, Senior Digital Technologist

Brief career profile
I’ve worked at CSU for 11 years now in the design and development space and hold a Bachelor in Media Communication and a Grad Cert in University Leadership and Management. Prior to joining CSU I’ve worked in a variety of roles across the media industry including production management, graphic design, web development and videography.

Best part about the job so far
Being part of something new. Besides being part of an awesome team, the shift in practice from being reactive to proactive has been a real pleasure to be part of.

Experience you want to bring to this new role
Education and media communication have a lot of parallels. I’ve worked with a lot of different people on a lot of different projects in both environments. I hope all the experience, networks and business knowledge I’ve accumulated thus far can add real value to the project. I look forward to not only learning new things working with new people and facing new challenges, but also helping others learn some new things along the way too.

What are students going to like about what you’re doing in this space?
I hope they like everything we do. Students are very much the focus of all tasks and recommendations that we undertake and make. My own particular focus is creating ease of use. Making the learning experience as accessible and barrier-free as we can so students are allowed to reach their potential and engage fully with the subject material that our academics provide.

What are staff going to like about your new role?
That we are supporting them – not just our students. By bringing together the different skillsets and experiences we have in the TOL team and working closing with academic staff, I think it soon becomes clear that what we are trying to do is simply a good thing.

That’s all for this month’s update – see you next month.